Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Snow

I have lived in Utah off and on for 8 years now, and I can't remember a single winter when we didn't experience several large snowstorms. I think it would be safe to assume that it has been snowing in Utah for quite some time now, possibly even hundreds of years. I bring this up, because for some reason the first real snowstorm of the year seems to come as a shock to everybody with a car. What? what is this white stuff? What's going on? Snow you say? In Utah - a state who's very existence is to give people a place to come ski - and we have snow here? I'm just floored.. I never would have expected this. I mean yes, we had snow last year, and every single winter since I've been alive, but THIS winter too? Who would have guessed?

A quick reminder - snow, like it's cousin rain, is made out of water. Snow typically falls when its cold outside. Cold water turns into ice. Ice is slippery. Tires do not stick to ice.

Anyways, it's 9:00 AM and the news has reported 34 traffic accidents on the freeways alone this morning. Maybe snow is just nature's way of taking care of all the swervers and tailgaters out there. Maybe people just like to live dangerously. Either way, try and be safe out there.

2 comments:

Wendy said...

So, just to be clear...when is snows I should drive differently than I do when it is not snowing? Hmmm

elise said...

34?!?!?! wow, you guys do live dangerously out there!